2012年4月21日土曜日

Shrakami-sha Shrine

Shrakami-sha Shrine

In the old days when the sea-level covered this location, a fire-lit white paper was plased on the reef safety maaker.
The words "paper" and "god" are both pronounsed "Kami" in Japanese. Afterward, a small shrine call "Shirakami" was built on the reef. "Shirakami," meaning "White God," was woshipped by the people as the head shrine of the tutelary deity in Hiroshima from the late 16th to 17 century.
(Quote from relief)

Planted by Dr.Carlos Lopes,

Executive Director of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), in honor of Hiroshima's A-bomb survivor trees, and on behalf of Green Legacy Hiroshima.
30 March 2012
(Quote from relief)


より大きな地図で Hirosima monument を表示

2012年4月19日木曜日

Fukuya Department Store


Fukuya Department Store

Fukuya Department Store building, standing eight stories with two besements floors, was built using steel framing and reinforced concrete. The building's contents were destoryed and blown about by the intense blast and shock wave of the atomic bomb.
Fires broke out inside and soon spread throughout the entire building, and many died in the building. Only the building's framework and outer walls remained


より大きな地図で Hirosima monument を表示

2012年4月16日月曜日

Hiroshima Dentetsu Co., Ltd.



Hiroshima Dentetsu Co., Ltd.

On August 6, 1945, as a result of the first atomic bombing in the history of mankind, the wooden main office building was partially destroyed in an instant and the streetcar maintenance building and garage collapsed, burying and crushing many emproyees. There were also numerous lives lost among the rush hour passengers crowded aboard streetcars and buses being operated throughout the city. The transit system was left in a state of complete destruction, but due to the strenuous efforts of company employees. the streetcar service between Nishitenma-cho and Koi was quickly reopened 3 days later. The sight of streetcars operating once again helped to raise the spirits of the citizens of Hiroshima.

(Quote from relief)


より大きな地図で Hirosima monument を表示

2012年4月13日金曜日

Hondori Shopping Arcade


Hondori Shopping Arcade


In 1945, Hondori was amomg the most porsperous, exciting street in town until the world's first atomic bombing instantly crushed every building and burned the district to the ground. Nearly everyone in the area died.
(From left to right: the gutted shells of the buildings of Yasuda life Insurance and the Teikoku Bank.)

(Quote from relief)



より大きな地図で Hirosima monument を表示

2012年4月12日木曜日

The Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall


The Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall



This building was completed in April of 1915 under the design and supervision of Czech architect Jan Letzel, capturing the fancy of the citizens of Hiroshima with its characteristic green dome. The atomic bomb exploded at an altitude of 580 meters apporximately 160 meters southeast of the industrial Promotion Hall, instantly killing everyone inside the building which was seriously damaged and completely burned out. In December 1996 this structure was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List as a reminder to the entire world of the horrors of the atomic bomb and symbol of global peace.

(Quote from relief)



より大きな地図で Hirosima monument を表示

2012年4月5日木曜日

Hijiyama Hill

Tamonin Tmple(approx. 1.75kilometers from hypocenter)

The roof of main building at Tamonin Temple lost most of its roof tiles to the blast wind. Nevertheless, in the evening of August 6, 1945, the Prefegtural Air Defense Headquarters was moved here from the Prefectural Government Building, which was crushed and buened to the ground. The next day, the Headquarters was moved again to East Polece Stasion, but this temple received relief supplies and distribusted rice balls the crowds of survivors that fled to Hijiyama Hill. The bell tower, its beams broken by the blast, has been preserved as a reminder.

This is a temple of tha "Shingon" Sect of Buddhism. It was moved to location in 1604, when Masanori Fukushima was the feudal lord of Hiroshima Castle. In the cemetery of the temple's preciencts, there is the grave of Sanyo Rai(1780-1832), a well-known Confucian scholar.


(Quote from relief)


Sanyo Buntokuden Memorial

This building endured the devastation of an atomic bombing on August 6, 1945.
The roof decoration(kurin) remains as it was after being deformed by the atomic bombing.
(Quote from relief)




より大きな地図で Hirosima monument を表示

Military cemetery


2012年4月3日火曜日

The Hiroshima Branch of the Teikoku Bank


The Hiroshima Branch of the Teikoku Bank

(Approx. 360 meters from the hypocenter)
This building was buirt in  1925 to be the Hiroshi ma branch of the Mitsui Bank. When the atomic bomb fell, it had by merger become the Teikoku Bank. The intense atomic blast tore the roof off the building and the northwest walls nerest the hypocenter  collaped. After the war, the building was renovated several time and presently houses a bakary.

(quote from relief)



より大きな地図で Hirosima monument を表示